After taking the quiz, my ecological footprint was 5.04 earths.
Carbon Footprint: 68.3
Food Footprint: 78.9
Housing Footprint: 24.6
Goods and Services Footprint: 23.6
Each footprint was below average except for my food footprint. I agree with the results I received because I know there are ways to help be more green but don't carry out with them. I drive a Dodge Dakota which gets 13.7mpg. Its horrible, but I love it. Its my first car and its pretty nice. I always go back and forth between selling it and not selling it. I know getting a new car would help, but money would be an issue too so I always fall back to keeping it. I have started to ride my bike alot recently, and I really like it. I'll ride my bike to do small errands like go to the bank, get a thing or two from the grocery store, drop something off. Now I tend to do just for the exercise, its relaxing to put on my ipod and just bike.
My food footprint is above average and I totally agree. I love to eat meat, I usually miss breakfast though but make up for it later in the day. I really don't buy organic foods, but I rarely eat out. Housing seemed fair, we have 5 people living in my house. Most of our lights are energy efficient bulbs, we keep all windows closed if the ac/heater is on. My dad is stingy about that. We try to limit the ac use. We have a whole house fan which sucks in air from the outside. My family is pretty good on recycling, we recycle all cans, glass/plastic bottles. Why not? You get money for them.
I feel like I can change things to help lower my footprint, I would be cool with buying some organic/natural foods, eating salads more. It would also be healthier, seems like a win win situation. For my car, I don't plan on changing it anytime soon, but will change driving habits to help conserve. Around the house turning off all computers, unplugging small appliances, use only what I need to. I will try to follow through with these, I want to help the earth and do what I can for the future.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It sounds like you're off to a really good start. Seems it's just the food that's killing you but buying organic comes with the same problem as getting a new car, expense. It will be significantly smaller difference in prices though so it's a much easier goal to achieve. Eating more salads will probably prove to make up the difference in cost and ecology just cause you be buying/eating less meat. I can't really talk though, I eat more than my share. Food's where I scored highest too.
ReplyDeleteYour footprint is a little higher than mine but atleast it's still less than the countrys average. :) You seem to be really optimistic in helping conserve our planets resources & I applaud you for that! I agree that organic is more expensive, but it does taste a lot better. Odwalla is amazing!!!
ReplyDelete